In addition to the scientific program, we also provide a social program for the leisure and further networking of our participants:
- The Reception of the DPT22 will be held on Thursday at 19:00 in Festsaal (Building 01.12, Adenauerring 7, 76131 Karlsruhe).
- The Conference Dinner will be held on Saturday at 20:00 at Hoepfner Schalander (Haid-und-Neu-Straße 18, 76131 Karlsruhe).
- Additionally, on Friday at 18:30, you may take part in one of the several options that we provide, such as:
- Bar hopping tour: In this informal tour, we want to give the participants a feeling of the Karlsruhe night life by exploring several different locations with regular stops at iconic bars.
- City tour at night: As the days get shorter, artificial light becomes more and more important. The tour deals with the beginnings of lighting with candles, pine shavings, tallow candles or oil lamps, but also with gas lights and the light of Advent and Christmas. The origin of the Christmas pyramid and customs such as Lucia Day, the Advent wreath and Christmas tree are explored. But light also harbored risks: in 1847 the Karlsruhe Theater burned down completely. And that wasn't the last major fire ... The tour ends at the Christkindlmarkt on Friedrichsplatz.
- Oriental dance workshop: Oscillations and waves are not only a part of physics, but also of Raqs Sharqi ('Dance of the Orient')! This elegant and powerful type of dance has its roots in the folklore of the Middle East and North Africa. A specialty of oriental dance are isolated movements of hips and chest which strengthen the pelvic muscles and provide a good posture. In this oriental dance workshop you'll learn a few basic movements and get the oriental feeling while having fun with the other participants. As this course is intended for beginners, no experience in oriental dance or other forms of dance are required. You won't need any sport shoes, but it's recommended to bring some comfortable clothes.
- Tour to local brewery: Let our brewers take you right to the heart of the Hoepfner art of brewing, where good Karlsruhe beer is still brewed using traditional methods. The tasting tour takes you to our malt and hop-scented brewhouse, the traditional open fermenting cellar to the keg bottling and ends relaxed with pretzels and beer tasting in the beer culinarium, where we leave you with new impressions and your own glass as a gift, so that you can enjoy your Hoepfner at home, too, in a classy and stylish way.
- Mental health in academia: together we can be the change!: Do you feel like you can't speak openly about mental health during your studies or PhD? People in academia suffer from mental health problems more often than the general population. But while so many of us share similar negative experiences, mental health remains a taboo.
This situation is not sustainable and we can only make a difference together. During this workshop, we want to imagine a utopian academic work environment and develop concrete ideas that will move us closer towards it. Clearly, structural transformation is a massive task, but we as students and academics can start a conversation and establish healthier interactions within the academic community and beyond.
Do you want to be part of the change? Awesome! We are looking forward to seeing you at the workshop. It represents a safe and open space where participants may also mention negative experiences in academia or mental health struggles. However, be aware that this workshop is organized by peers for peers and as such cannot provide professional support.